2009-03-25

Fragrant palette update

There are several new raw materials in my fragrant palette suitable for a leather accord:

Safraleine – is an aromatic molecule from Givaudan and is described as alternative to the spicy notes resembling the natural saffron with warm, powerful leathery and tobacco facets and rosy floral aspects. To my nose it smells exactly like leather – a very recognizable smell of a shoe store or leather department of a clothing store. For a good leather accord, safraleine is a perfect molecule to build around. The molecule is very versatile and can be used in spicy accords as well. Although the leather smell of the molecule is obvious, it can’t be used just on its own without support of Castoreum, Birch Tar, Patchouli, Quinolines and other leather building blocks. I was so in love to this note that I started making a “Rose in Leather” perfume around Safraleine. But I overestimated this aromachemical and didn’t support it well with other leathery notes. So, the comment from my perfumery fairy was: “Hmm, smells like a overripe cucumber.” But in the current, the third version of “L&R” is much more leathery. Fragrances containing Safraleine are, for example, Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange and Pi Neo by Givenchy.

Castoreum blend by Givaudan (aka Castoreum Givco 116). It is s a mixture of aromachemicals made to substitute a natural Castoreum. It has a sweetish odor of decay with animalic and leathery undertones. It’s a perfect background for a leather accord reminding about the true origin of leather. Attractive and repulsive at the same time in its pure form it turns sweetish warm, musky, slightly spicy when diluted and becomes a good fixative for leather, tobacco, chypre and fougère accords. Perfectly supports Safraleine and extends tobacco absolute.

Tobacco leaf absolute. In its pure form it’s a thick dark brown semi-solid mass – a difficult one to use. Fortunately it dissolves good in alcohol that makes it easier to use, although it keeps its dark brown color and powerful odour, so you can’t use too much of it in perfumes. The smell is very close to cigar-tobacco – like you put your nose into a bag with hand-rolling tobacco. It’s reach and honey sweet with leather aspects as well as intensively herbal with warm spicy nuances. It gives fullness to leather accords, enriches and gives naturalness to tobacco accords and brings interesting nuances to fougères.

Guaiac wood. Well – I have written about it recently. What should I add – indeed it becomes liquid when heated in hot water, but it hardens quickly by cooling down – this is in contrary to what Wikipedia says. I made a 20% solution in alcohol that forms a clear liquid without lumps. I am still fascinated by its combination of smokey note with dry plums. I even find that it shares some herbal fruitness with tobacco leaf absolute too. I think I’d use it in my “Rose and Leather” version four as a good bridge between leather and rose.


5 opmerkingen:

Ed zei

I have a Castoreum 10%, which I think is the Givaudan blend, and I absolutely adore it. I really want to try out tobacco and Safraleine too.

AromaX zei

Linda from http://www.perfumersapprentice.com/ has Safraleine (as well as Castoreum blend etc.) - you can ask her if she has Tobacco absolute as well. Very beautiful materials.

Ed zei

I actually just ordered both safraleine and tobacco absolute today. I can't wait to try them! Suederal too.

I had gotten my castoreum from Perfumer's Apprentice as well, so I'm pretty sure it's the Givaudan blend.

AromaX zei

It would be nice to read your impressions, Ed!

Ed zei

I just got the aromachemicals today (the Perfumers Apprentice is FAST with shipping. I like that VERY much). I did a very quick sniff and I love them all. This is in opposition to my first order, when I didn't love Cashmeran quite so much. I do have to say that I didn't expect the tobacco absolute to be so very hay like. I knew it would have a hay character, but I thought it would be darker, mossier. I'm not complaining, though. It seems like it could be very, very versatile.

Add me on facebook, you! (If you haven't already; who can keep track...) :)

E