2009-03-23

First time Guaiac oil

Today I've got a package with some essential oils. One of them is guaiac oil. The only essential oil that is solid at room temperature. It is obtained by distillation of wood snips of Guaiac wood from India.

Well, it looks a bit like snot. But it smells wonderful - like smoked dried plums. The fruity notes are reminding those from rose essential oil or jasmine absolute and also osmanthus. In perfumery it's used as a good fixative in rose formulae. A warm summer evening, smell of open fire, dried fruits delight served in a garden, exotic decorations, regularity, quietness and warm friendly conversations till the midnight.

I am really wondering how you can use this oil... Wikipedia says that it smelts at 50 degrees and remains liquid for a long time after it cools down again. We'll see...

2 opmerkingen:

Anoniem zei

Guajacwood is soluble in alcohol. I gently heat it in a waterbath until it becomes liquid. Then I dilute it with alcohol to a 50% solution.

AromaX zei

Thanks. I was thinking about it. I shall make a 20% solution - easier to experiment with.