2008-05-19

The fragrant highlights of my vacation

Nederlands: http://aromax-mijneigen.blogspot.com/search/label/vakantie%20mei08

Image #1. Somewhere in South Lorraine in Vosges department there is a small city Remiremont. A small road full of twists and turns leads you higher to the hills through a forest. You go Girmont-val-d’Agol direction and take a smaller path to Le Moulin Picard. A handful of houses without numbers on a road without a name - a quiet and peaceful place lost between green hills and dark bosses. A cosy house near a pond with a big balcony and a fireplace. Not easy to find, but nice to forget the rush of a big city and just fall out of time flow and relax. Green grass carpet with dandelions and small blue flowers (viper’s bugloss?), virgin green veil of opening leaves on the trees, blooming apple tree and broom. A smell of green grassy freshness and intoxicating honey sweetness of broom…

Image #2. Visiting Zürich. Well – it was almost 3 hours riding, but not without reward. I don’t know why but I did feel home there, although I’ve never been there before. Was it falling in love for the city from first sight? Nostalgic feeling about the city somewhere from the previous life? Well – I had not much time and could visit only the Bahnhofstrasse, cause I had meeting with Andy Tauer at 14.00.

Bahnhofstrasse is a paradise for a perfume lover. Christian Dior, Chanel, Hermes, Armani, Douglas and much more perfumeries and boutiques. And of course Oswald perfumery – a small place full of niche pearls. They just have too much for me – couldn’t easily choose what to sniff.

Image #3. Meeting Andy Tauer. A wonderful experience. Andy - an independent hobby perfumer who can make and sale his perfume under his name is a source of inspiration for me. I am not sure yet if my own perfume making adventure as ambitious, but it’s nice to have an inspiring example. Andy is a very easygoing person and nice to chat with. He gave me a short tour in his house – I could even try his creative chair and sniff some of perfume materials. Of course I was curious on his new creations and limited fragrances – Orris, Hyacynth and Mechanic, Vetiver, Chypre Rose… I did love his Vetiver very much – soft, deep, with some green notes and a touch of white flowers. Really looking forward for the day it’s available to buy. Andy has shown me some of basic books for a perfumer – like Essence and Alchemy of Mandy Aftel that was a source of inspiration for him. Well, I’ve already ordered this book. I’ve nosed through his perfume collection and could put my nose into Véga of Guerlain, vintage Jicky and Chypre by Coty – what a masterpiece! Well I left Andy with a bottle of L’air du desert Marocain – a gift from the hands of its creator, nice olfactory experiences, a couple of tips and warm feeling in my heart and full of excitement.

Image #4. Aldehydic perfumes. Well – I’ve got my first assignments for the perfumery course. The practical one was to make an aldehydic floral perfume according to a given formula and than to improve it. I have spent three whole days on it with all the pleasure. Trying to understand the formula and to figure it out how you can improve it without change the spirit of perfume self. I did smell some famous perfumes reading about their components – Chanel N5, Arpège, Madame Rochas, Rive Gauche, Calandre, White Linnen. Finally I’ve made two improved versions that I send for review soon to my supervisor.

Well those are the most excited images from the vacations. If I have time I will put some more or give more details on those.

Geen opmerkingen: